Saturday, October 11, 2008

Inspiration

"Just Do It!"
I love this slogan! It pretty much says it all in three words. Lately I've found myself searching for inspiration, motivation and purpose. I am inspired by many things and in many different ways. Today I was blown away by a group of 8 & 9 year old boys running around a soccer field at 7:30 in the morning in 48 degree weather. When I arrived at half time, our team was down by 4. We were playing a good team with several star players. It was a bummer and my son Jess said to me (as he sat on my lap keeping me warm) "we lost but it's okay." I said the game isn't over yet. And it wasn't. The Sky Knights proceeded to score, goal after goal until they took the lead in the last quarter (or is it period in soccer?). As the minutes ticked away we anxiously awaited the ref's whistle indicating the end of the game and a tremendous victory for the boys. The feeling of exhilaration was pure and irreplaceable. The courage and tenacity those boys showed today was inspiring. Never give up no matter what the score or the circumstances. I wish I had that spirit alive in me today.

As I struggle to lose the 20 pounds I put back on after losing 22 over a year ago, I find I am missing the motivation I must need to "just do it." I did it once, why can't I do it again? I am exercising the same amount, if not more. So what's the problem? Why aren't the pounds flying off like they did the first time around? I know why, because I'm not sticking to the program. I am still eating whatever I want and losing any and all will power especially when I am feeling out of sorts which is quite often for me lately. I find I am an emotional wreak more often then not. When I'm sad, angry, tired, I tend to eat. If I am mad at my family, I think I am punishing them by not eating right. No, I just punishing myself. If my husband is not paying the attention to me I want or feel I deserve, I dive head first into self pity and eating rather than trying to work at making myself more attractive or healthy for both myself and him. My work out buddies try to motivate me by being there for me and providing the encouraging words I need to hear. But they can only take me so far on this journey. They can lead me to the top of the hill but I have to climb to the top on my own. I have to carry myself over that last obstacle in order to achieve my goal; all my goals not just with my weight loss.

How long have I wanted to be a writer now? Probably longer than I care to look back and remember. First it was writing fan fic for the General Hospital soap couple, Jason and Elizabeth. Then I wanted to write a romance novel. Oh no, I know, I can write greeting cards. Yeah I would be good at that. Now I want to write a book about my experience with my dad's illness and untimely death. All have lead to the same place - nowhere! I don't know what to write about. I don't know if I should write greeting cards for other companies or start my own business. Maybe no one will want to read what I have to write about. I'm no expert, how can I write a book about caring for a sick parent? These are the statements I have running around in my head, daily. I make a commitment to myself to start something, finally. Then I find myself making excuses or playing on Facebook instead of writing. Today my kids were outside playing most of the day. Kevin was at work, the dog was asleep at my feet. The perfect time to sit down and write something. My Facebook page sure looks good.

I need a swift kick in the ass is what I need. I need something stronger and more powerful than my mind to get my dreams in motion. I need my heart, my soul and my mind as one so I can "JUST DO IT!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robyn - just wanted to say hi and i'm not going to give you a swift kick in the butt - but I just want to tell you what Henry said to me - when you were sending emails re your dad's updates - I would always show them to henry - henry is a lawyer who needs to write well so he can win for his client and the first time he saw your email - he said "she really writes very well" so give yourself till January 1 to keep putting things off - that'll be your grace period - then get down to business - i think about your dad a lot - he hasn't been in my dreams lately (bummer) but I say good morning to him and from time to time I listen to his voice - I'm so glad we have that message! Things at the barn are the same - Macie is doing well as is Laurie - miss you. xoxo, marina